About the course
Nobody’s perfect. No doggy’s perfect.
But that’s no excuse to let your canine companion walk all over you. Whether it’s a few too many accidents or a bad habit of biting, there is a way to get your dog under control without compromising any puppy love.
Did you know that less than 5% of dog owners enroll in any sort of training program with their pet? This unfortunate statistic leads to millions of helpless canines being returned to shelters, through no fault of their own.
Training takes time and patience, but any pet parent will tell you the reward is well worth the hard work.
And with the flexibility of this completely online course, you can work on your own time, and at your own pace.
By training your puppy or dog with us:
- You are in control
- The course is online so you decide when you train your dog
- You’ll spend quality time with your dog
- He thinks you’re playing with him but really he’s learning to be well-behaved
- Each dog training session is bite-size. In each 10-minute video, you and your pooch will learn something new
- You’re training with a master dog trainer Ian Stone, who’s crazy about dogs
- You’ll discover so much about dog behavior and get great tips on how to train your dog with kindness (and lots of doggy treats!)
- You can teach an old dog new tricks. Our dog and puppy training course is suitable for all ages
Build a stronger relationship with your pup based on respect instead of bribery, and establish yourself as the dominant member of your pack.
What you will learn
The videos show real dogs in real life training situations. They show you exactly how to do it!
This course is taught by certified professional dog trainer, Ian Stone, who has more than 10 years’ experience working in animal welfare. He will guide you step-by-step through:
- fundamental concepts
- basic training commands such as Sit and Come
- tackling behavior problems like jumping up or barking
- being good on the leash
- as well as some games and tricks!
Holly and Hugo courses are designed for anyone with an interest in learning. No formal qualifications are required. Our courses are suitable if you want to learn new skills, start a new career, or if you’re already working in a particular industry and wish to upgrade your talents and enhance your resume.
Module 1: Foundations
- 1.1 Meet the trainer
- 1.2 Hardware and habituation
- 1.3 Communication
- 1.4 Food handling
- 1.5 Engagement and motivation
Module 2: New Dog
- 2.1 Realistic expectations
- 2.2 Potty training
- 2.3 Puppy biting
- 2.4 Socialization
Module 3: Basic Moves
- 3.1 Exercise and stimulation
- 3.2 Basic control positions
- 3.3 Training the stay
- 3.4 Loose leash walking 1
- 3.5 Leave it
- 3.6 Teaching get off
Module 4: Further Moves
- 4.1 Goals criteria and proofing
- 4.2 Toy training
- 4.3 Teaching to come
- 4.4 Loose leash walking 2
- 4.5 Leave it 2
Module 5: Side Hustles
- 5.1 Train everything like a game
- 5.2 Come games
- 5.3 Fixing jumping
- 5.4 Fixing barking
- 5.5 Trick training
Module 6: Onward
- 6.1 Troubleshooting
- 6.2 Farewell
Who is this course for
- Training your dog is an essential part of dog ownership! Badly-behaved dogs get taken to shelters, and sadly, many will not make it out again
- This course is for anyone who wants to build a strong, loving bond with their pet and provide the highest level of training to improve their life
- Whether you just brought home a new puppy, adopted a shelter dog or live with an older dog who never got properly trained, this course is perfect for you
How will it help me
- This course takes the stress out of having to be somewhere at a specific time each week for dog training. It allows you to properly train from the comfort of your own home whenever you have a few minutes to spare
- Understand how your pet thinks and keep their attention to basic commands and common behavioral problems
- Professional dog trainer Ian Stone shows you how to properly train your four-legged best friend and how to have fun while doing so!
- Studying this certificate course proves you are a responsible animal lover. You have learnt the basics of dog training, so you are well-equipped to work with dogs
- You could use this training as a basis to start your own pet care business, such as pet sitting or dog walking
- You would work or volunteer with dogs at a rescue shelter or kennels
- Holly and Holly and Hugo is a professional company with an international team of experts, including veterinary surgeons, compiling the courses
- The courses are accredited by ICOES, the International Council for Online Education Standards, assuring our students our commitment to high standards of online education
- We are also a recognized member of the CPD Certification Service
- Our CPD accredited courses will count towards your CPD hour records. Through Continuing Professional Development (CPD/CE), individuals show their commitment to gain new skills to contribute to their personal and professional development, improve their job prospects, enhance and evolve in their career
- At the end of each module there is an exam to pass to make sure you have fully taken in each stage
- The modules are easy to understand and, therefore, easy to remember
- You can revisit the material for a refresher if you want to look something up
- Once the course is completed, all modules saved and exams passed you'll get a pdf certificate
- You will be also eligible to apply for an ICOES hard copy certificate
- The courses are designed to be easy to use without the need to download material
- Should you need any assistance, we have a help centre available in your student area 24/7 or you can contact our awesome Customer Support team during the working hours