Sobre el Curso
Doesn’t your dog just love being told how gorgeous he or she looks? Imagine how amazing they’ll look and feel when you’ve become a master dog groomer.
Not only will your dog turn heads with the new amazing haircuts and styles, you get to spend quality time together. It’s great for bonding. And you get to pamper your pooch. Win-Win all the way.
In our online dog grooming course’s videos, you get to watch award-winning dog groomer Tolo Vicens in action. You’ll see why he’s in such hot demand when you watch his grooming and cutting techniques.
How to become the top dog of the grooming world
Study the background to dog grooming and changing fashions. Know why dog groomers will always be in top demand and how you can be the top dog in the world of dog hair stylists.
Know how to handle dogs while you groom them
Some dogs love pampering. Others wimp out at the sight of a hairdryer. Keep safe and your animals’ secure by knowing the right way to handle them while you brush and buff them.
Our course also covers some basic first-aid techniques in case anything unexpected should happen to your furballs while they’re in your care. Better to be safe than sorry!
What equipment does a dog groomer need?
There’s nothing worse than hunting around for the right brush or clippers once your dog is waiting to be groomed.
If you're going to be a professional dog groomer, you'll need a range of brushes and combs for different breeds as well as scissors and accessories.
Make sure you’ve everything you need at your fingertips before you start working on your dog.
Know how to bathe a dog
Just like us, some dogs love bath-time and others loathe it. Know how to tempt all of your four-legged clients into the bath and understand how to handle all types of hair - long, short, curly and straight.
You’ll see how to get rid of nasty smells and how to deal with their important little places!
How to brush your dog’s hair and style it
Let’s face it, no-one wants a mullet haircut. Get to know how to work with different fur types and breeds, so they get a beautiful haircut that suits them.
From a French bulldog to a Samoyed husky, you'll learn how to work with different breeds. And you'll find out how to cut the hair of mutts and mixed breeds too.
Checking dogs for skin disorders and dandruff
Whilst you’ve got your hands on a dog, you’re ideally placed to give them a quick checkover. Know which skin conditions or parasites to look out for. Have a look at their eyes and ears to see that they’re healthy.
Know how to deal with the common problem of dandruff. With the skills you learn from top groomer Tolo Vicens, any dog will be putty in your hands.
Take the first step to being a hot dog hair stylist with our flexible online dog grooming course.
You can learn anytime and anywhere how to become a dog groomer.
Lo que Aprenderás
- Watch videos in your own time on the right ways to cut and brush hair
- Dog grooming is where Holly & Hugo first began with the original course compiled by Tolo Vicens, a professional dog groomer with 20 years’ experience. So you’ll be learning from the master!
- Understand the importance of regular grooming for a healthy coat and skin - he’ll turn heads too!
- Get the edge on competitors by knowing the top grooming techniques for different breeds
- Keep animals safe while they’re in your care and deal with any emergency or first-aid situation
- Master skills to care for your pet better while spending quality time together or set up your own business working with animals
Holly and Hugo courses are designed for anyone with an interest in learning. No formal qualifications are required. Our courses are suitable if you want to learn new skills, start a new career, or if you’re already working in a particular industry and wish to upgrade your talents and enhance your resume.
Desglose del Curso
Module 1: Where Did Grooming Begin?
- 1.1 Changing fashions in dog grooming
- 1.2 When did dog grooming begin and why?
- 1.3 Why dog groomers will always be in hot demand
- 1.4 Tips on being the top dog in the grooming world
Module 2: Be Prepared!
- 2.1 Finding the right equipment for you and your clients
- 2.2 Making sure you and your staff know how to handle dogs
- 2.3 Kind ways to gently restrain dogs while you groom
- 2.4 Different types of muzzles and when you need them
- 2.5 Making sure the pet is safe and secure at all times
Module 3: First Aid
- 3.1 Introduction to first aid
- 3.2 How to approach an injured or ill dog for your security and his
- 3.3 When artificial respiration is required and how to act swiftly
- 3.4 How to give heart massage to save an animal’s life
- 3.5 Recognizing symptoms and dealing with heat stroke
- 3.6 Stress from shock
- 3.7 Reacting quickly to an electric shock
- 3.8 Safely coping with seizures or convulsions
- 3.9 What to do if the dog is choking
- 3.10 How to deal with burns
- 3.11 What to have in your pet first aid and emergency kit
Module 4: The Most Common Disorders
- 4.1 Introduction to disorders you may come across while grooming
- 4.2 Grooming a dog with eczema
- 4.3 What to do when a dog has ringworm
- 4.4 Bathing and brushing a dog with dandruff
- 4.5 Right way to deal with scabies
- 4.6 What is otitis
- 4.7 How to clean eyes with conjunctivitis
- 4.8 Preventing the buildup of plaque
Module 5: Working Tools
- 5.1 Why you should invest in the best possible equipment
- 5.2 Cutting equipment and scissors for grooming
- 5.3 Different brushes and combs for different breeds
- 5.4 Additional accessories for dog groomers
- 5.5 Importance of hygiene and disinfection
Module 6: Psychology And Bathing
- 6.1 The dog groomers approach to dogs
- 6.2 Advice for clients on preparing dogs for grooming
- 6.3 How to handle aggressive dogs
- 6.4 How often and how to wash a dog?
- 6.5 Preparing the dog before you start
- 6.6 Important little places to deal with
- 6.7 Shampooing and getting rid of nasty smells
- 6.8 Dive in!
Module 7: Anatomy & Types Of Coat
- 7.1 Getting to know your dog’s anatomy
- 7.2 Different types of coats to work with
- 7.3 Which dogs have low, medium and high levels of grooming
- 7.4 Bathing dogs with long hair
- 7.5 Bathing dogs with curly hair
- 7.6 Bathing dogs with short hair
- 7.7 Bathing Nordic dogs
Module 8: Standard Styles
- 8.1 Introduction to styling different breeds
- 8.2 What’s best for a poodle
- 8.3 Grooming a Yorkshire terrier
- 8.4 Dealing with a West Highland White Terrier
- 8.5 Tips for a English cocker spaniel
- 8.6 Best treatments for a Shih Tzu
- 8.7 Brushing a Schnauzer
- 8.8 Correct procedures for a labrador/retriever
- 8.9 Techniques for a French Bulldog
- 8.10 Handling the coat of a Samoyed husky
- 8.11 Getting to know the mongrel / mutt / mixed breed types
¿Para quién es este curso?
- Any pet guardians who want to learn the proper techniques for bathing, brushing and grooming their dogs
- People interested in setting up their own dog grooming business. You’ll be learning from a top dog groomer!
- Anyone who already works with dogs such as a kennel or pet hotel worker, pet sitter or dog walker can offer an extra service to their clients
- Anyone who shows or trains dogs and wants them to look their very best
Posibilidades de carrera
- Start your dream job working as a dog groomer in a salon
- Set up your own dog grooming business
- Offer your dog grooming services to pet care businesses such as kennels and dog day care centers
- Get a job or promotion in animal care with your knowledge of handling dogs and looking after them
- Existing dog groomers in pursuit of promotion or a raise can show they’ve followed an accredited course by an award-winning dog groomer
- Holly and Holly and Hugo is a professional company with an international team of experts, including veterinary surgeons, compiling the courses
- The courses are accredited by ICOES, the International Council for Online Education Standards, assuring our students our commitment to high standards of online education
- We are also a recognized member of the CPD Certification Service
- Our CPD accredited courses will count towards your CPD hour records. Through Continuing Professional Development (CPD/CE), individuals show their commitment to gain new skills to contribute to their personal and professional development, improve their job prospects, enhance and evolve in their career
- At the end of each module there is an exam to pass to make sure you have fully taken in each stage
- The modules are easy to understand and, therefore, easy to remember
- You can revisit the material for a refresher if you want to look something up
- Once the course is completed, all modules saved and exams passed you'll get a pdf certificate
- You will be also eligible to apply for an ICOES hard copy certificate
- The courses are designed to be easy to use without the need to download material
- Should you need any assistance, we have a help centre available in your student area 24/7 or you can contact our awesome Customer Support team during the working hours