About the course
When your pet looks into your eyes, don’t you just melt? But are you sure you’re correctly reading the signs? Do you understand animal body language? What their noises really mean? Or are you second-guessing them? Our animal care online course is written by professional veterinarians. Study this to take the guesswork out of looking after your pet or clients’ animals.
Be clear about what your animal is telling you
Every pet owner knows how intriguing and complex animals can be. Each creature is an endearing individual and full of surprises.
Taking care of pets is so rewarding. But it’s frustrating when you misread them. And they’ll be unhappy because they’re not getting what they want. Learn how to take care of pets properly and, therefore, react in the right way to give them what they need.
Know how to take real good care of all animals
Cats can be spirited and mysterious. Dogs can be untameable but adorable. Learn to speak their language and fully understand their habits, instincts, wants and needs.
Once you understand each other - and you can read them like a book - your bond will be so much stronger. You’ll be able to take care of them better. Understand them better.
Healthy pets are happy animals
Four legs, two legs and no legs at all. Our online course covers a range of pets and their specific needs, care, living requirements and diseases.
It’s tempting to treat many pets like your best buddy. Like a fellow human. But they have needs of their own which are different to yours. Learn the importance of taking care of animals correctly, so that they’re healthy, happy and loved.
Learn at times to suit you
We’re your flexible learning friend. You can study animal health care with us at any time and anywhere to suit you. Once you’ve successfully completed the internationally-accredited course, you can get a certificate to show prospective employers or clients that you are committed to caring for animals.
Start learning to properly care for all animals today.
What you will learn
Get the answers to questions like:
- Why do dogs sniff butts?
- Why do cats mark their territory?
- Is my dog being aggressive or scared?
- How to be a responsible cat owner
- Life from a dog's eye view
- Caring for rabbits and guinea pigs
- Proper living environment for rodents
- Tips on caring for birds
- Looking after different types of fish
- The challenges of keeping reptiles
- Studying at your own pace, our professional animal experts will arm you with the
- knowledge to correctly care for animals
- Watching and listening to animals to correctly read signals to become a responsible animal owner or professional
Our accredited course offers another perspective on caring for and understanding animals
Holly and Hugo courses are designed for anyone with an interest in learning. No formal qualifications are required to study with us. Our courses are suitable if you want to learn new skills, start a new career, or if you’re already working in a particular industry and wish to upgrade your talents and enhance your resume.
Module 1: What Is Normal Behavior For A Dog?
- 1.1 Socialization
- 1.2 Dogs and learning
- 1.3 Juniors and seniors
- 1.4 Habits – digging, chewing, and more!
Module 2: If Dogs Could Talk
- 2.1 Body language
- 2.2 Stances
- 2.3 Body language reference table
- 2.4 Smells and sniffing
- 2.5 Urine and feces
- 2.6 Vocal language
Module 3: A Dog's Eye View
- 3.1 Fear
- 3.2 Anxiety
- 3.3 Aggression
- 3.4 Scent marking
- 3.5 Elimination
- 3.6 Issues at feeding time
Module 4: Normal Cat Behavior
- 4.1 How cats’ behaviour develops as they grow
- 4.2 Feeding time rules
- 4.3 Sleeping and biological rhythms
- 4.4 Sexual behaviour
- 4.5 Maternal instincts
- 4.6 Aggression
Module 5: When Cat Behavior Is Abnormal
- 5.1 Peculiarities of certain breeds
- 5.2 When play is not play
- 5.3 Moody & sensitive times
- 5.4 Differentiating instinct from conditioning
- 5.5 Differentiating between behavioural and health issues
Module 6: Cats Heightened Senses And Communication
- 6.1 Reading body language
- 6.2 Sense of smell
- 6.3 Sense of hearing
- 6.4 Distinctive cat sounds
- 6.5 What’s she trying to tell me?
Module 7: Cat Care And Health
- 7.1 Understanding aggression and how to deal with it
- 7.2 Scratching
- 7.3 House training
- 7.4 Excessive vocalisation
- 7.5 Discipline
- 7.6 Preventative health care
- 7.7 Responsible ownership
- 7.8 Effects of ageing
Module 8: Specific Information On Rabbits & Guinea Pigs
- 8.1 Different breeds
- 8.2 Common problems and diseases
- 8.3 Providing an adequate living environment
- 8.4 Exercise
- 8.5 Usual care needed
Module 9: Specific Information On Hamsters, Gerbils, Mice & Exotic Rats
- 9.1 Different breeds
- 9.2 Understanding behaviour
- 9.3 Common problems and diseases
- 9.4 Providing an adequate living environment
- 9.5 Usual care needed
Module 10: Specific Information On Birds
- 10.1 General tips on caring for birds
- 10.2 Small birds
- 10.3 Larger birds & birds of prey
- 10.4 Poultry
- 10.5 The parrot family
- 10.6 Recognising common diseases and preventing spread
Module 11: Specific Information On Fish
- 11.1 How to care for fish
- 11.2 Tropical fish
- 11.3 Cold water fish
- 11.4 Marine fish
- 11.5 Recognising disease and what to do
Module 12: Specific Information On Reptiles
- 12.1 Challenges of keeping reptiles as pets
- 12.2 How to care for reptiles
- 12.3 Turtles, terrapins & tortoises
- 12.4 Snakes & lizards
- 12.5 Recognising disease and what to do
Who is this course for
- Everyone who wants to know more about animal care and training
- Pet parents who care deeply for their animals and want to get to know them better
- Anyone interested in keeping a pet and wants to know which one is right for them
- Anyone interested in working with animals or starting an animal business
- People who want to feel confident around animals by knowing how to read them. Animals will feel more confident too because they’re being so well-treated.
- Anyone working with animals can work towards the ICOES-accredited certificate to show clients they are more than capable of looking after their little loved ones
How will it help me
- Go further in your career with animals and have a better understanding of pets
- Be the best owner you can by broadening your knowledge to properly take care of animals
- Open your eyes to a new or better way to communicate with pets
- Holly and Holly and Hugo is a professional company with an international team of experts, including veterinary surgeons, compiling the courses
- The courses are accredited by ICOES, the International Council for Online Education Standards, assuring our students our commitment to high standards of online education
- We are also a recognized member of the CPD Certification Service
- Our CPD accredited courses will count towards your CPD hour records. Through Continuing Professional Development (CPD/CE), individuals show their commitment to gain new skills to contribute to their personal and professional development, improve their job prospects, enhance and evolve in their career
- At the end of each module there is an exam to pass to make sure you have fully taken in each stage
- The modules are easy to understand and, therefore, easy to remember
- You can revisit the material for a refresher if you want to look something up
- Once the course is completed, all modules saved and exams passed you'll get a pdf certificate
- You will be also eligible to apply for an ICOES hard copy certificate
- The courses are designed to be easy to use without the need to download material
- Should you need any assistance, we have a help centre available in your student area 24/7 or you can contact our awesome Customer Support team during the working hours