As the saying goes, “You are what you eat.” This is as true for our pets as it is for us. But with so many different diets and formulations on the shelves, the world of pet food may seem baffling and overwhelming.
This highly digestible course will help you understand your pet’s dietary needs and give a solid grounding in pet nutrition. The course helps you understand food labelling, how much and when to feed, and not forgetting our smaller furry (and scaly) friends as we pick a path through the maze of pet nutrition.
Food glorious food! You’re on safe ground spotting a steak is not a cabbage, but can you tell proteins, carbohydrates and fats from vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants? Learn nutritional aspects such as:
- Food groups: What foods are made up of
- Types of food: How commercial diets are packaged
- Food labelling: Decode the small print
- Know how much to feed
Understand Your Pet’s Nutritional Needs
A dog has different nutritional needs to a cat, which is different to a rabbit. Indeed, don’t stop there because birds, fish, and reptiles all have specific needs. Learn about:
- Different types of digestion: Herbivores, carnivores, and omnivores
- Life stage feeding: Youngster, adult, or senior pet
- Matching lifestyle to nutrition: How to feed the active animal, for pregnancy or lactation
- Why a cat isn’t a small dog
- Mealtimes vs ad lib feeding
- Avoiding fussy eaters
The Weighty Matter of Weight
It’s official: Lean animals live longer.
Learn how to assess your pet’s weight and then diet them for longer life:
- Body score your pet
- Feeding for painless weight loss
- What every overweight diabetic cat should know
Food and Ill Health
Food choices cut both ways: It causes ill health and it can cure it. Learn:
- Signs of dietary allergy or food intolerance
- How to put your pet on a hypoallergenic diet
- Foods to improve renal, liver, heart, dental, and urinary disease
Options for Feeding
Learn how to switch diets without upsetting your pet’s tummy, and weigh up the pros and cons of various diets such as:
- Raw meaty bones
- A homemade diet
- Supermarket food
- Veterinary approved diets
- Prescription diets
Special Sections on Small Mammals, Birds, and Scaly Creatures
Learn the crucial importance of an unprocessed high fiber diet to your rabbit’s health and well-being. Also, how to feed the following for optimal health:
- Guinea pigs
- Hamsters, gerbils, rats, and mice
- Tortoises, turtles, and terrapins
- Reptiles, including snakes.
An appropriate, good quality diet is vital for our pets’ health and longevity but do you truly what you’re feeding them? If you can’t put your hand on your heart and say “Yes,” then this course helps you to ask, and answer, the right questions about feeding.
Follow the easy registration process to enroll in your course today.
Absorb course content easily with clearly structured information, helpful illustrations and hands on video tutorials. Study anywhere, anytime that suits you within your course duration.
Reinforce new learning with assessment of important points at the end of each module.
On completion, receive your certificate which confirms your achievement.