About the course
You'll have heard that cats have nine lives. And that they always land on their feet. These myths are often repeated because cats seemingly escape unscathed from serious falls and accidents.
What we can say is that a cat will think it's landed on its feet when it comes to live with you, once you study our online cat care course. That's because you've taken the time and trouble to find out what your cat needs before bringing her home.
You’ll find out why your cat hisses at you? Why is she arching her back? Wagging her tail? Purring one minute and snarling the next?
Choosing the right cat for you
Know how to look after cats and kittens before you bring one into your home! Choose the right cat for your lifestyle and look after her the best you can by understanding her every need and mood.
Different cat breeds have their own distinct characters and personalities. Look at your lifestyle and decide the right breed - or mixture - for you. Some breeds are definitely more temperamental or needy than others.
Some need a lot of grooming. Others are more laidback. Learn which is the right one for you and how to get the pick of the litter.
Keeping your cat healthy
Know what makes a healthy cat and the needs of a cat. They need mental stimulation and healthy exercise. They also like to express their natural behaviors. Find out about taking care of a cat and what they need so you have a happy, content cat in your home.
Know what innoculations a cat needs
Outdoor cats like to prowl. Others are happy indoors. Whichever cat you have, you'll need to take preventative healthcare such as vaccinations and measures to prevent parasites.
Find out the health needs of your cat and kitten to ensure they stay in great shape.
How to groom a cat
Cats love to groom themselves. But they’ll need a helping hand. We’ll give you advice on looking after a cat, how to groom your cat and clip those claws without causing pain to your cat or yourself!
Feeding the right diet for cats
The dietary needs of a kitten differ to those of an older cat. Know what to feed your cat at all stages of her life so that she remains healthy and fit for as long as possible. That way she’ll be full of energy, have a gorgeous coat and healthy teeth.
What is your cat saying to you?
How do I make sure my cat is happy? By understanding cat behavior. The body language of a cat is amazing.
They have so many expressions and movements. Get to read your cat like a book. Know when to approach your cat and when it’s wise to steer clear.
Understand what she means when she arches her back, wags her tail, kneads you, purrs and hisses.
How to get kitty to use a litter tray
Getting a kitten or new cat potty trained can be frustrating.
Why won’t she use her litter tray but do her business right next to it? How can you eliminate the smell? What substance should you put in the tray?
Our course takes you through the trials of litter tray training. No more smelly surprises waiting for you in the wrong place! Forewarned is forearmed!
Get to know the essential information and practical advice of cat ownership before you bring your little kitten or new cat home.
What you will learn
Cats are precious so discover the best way to handle and enjoy living or working with these beautiful pets of all ages and breeds.
Understanding your cat and her character will make you a better pet parent - you may look at your little meow monster in a whole new way after making your way through the modules!
Know the right nutrition for a healthy happy cat at every stage from kitten to old age, and why cats should eat meat.
Read the signs that your cat is happy, sick or about to attack.
Understand why your cat goes on a daily patrol or throws a hissy fit when a newbie enters the house.
Get the lowdown from qualified vets on the best way to care for your cat or clients including:
- grooming techniques
- at play
- stopping her from being bored
Channel your cat's natural instinct to climb and scratch to prevent boredom and ruined furniture.
Understand essential cat facts about healthcare and nutrition.
Groom your cat and care for her claws.
Understand where your cat is at by reading her body language and noise.
Sparing just 40 hours to work through our ICOES-accredited course will enable you to build a strong and healthy relationship with your pet while being prepared for any incidents.
Holly and Hugo courses are designed for anyone with an interest in learning. No formal qualifications are required. Our courses are suitable if you want to learn new skills, start a new career, or if you’re already working in a particular industry and wish to upgrade your talents and enhance your resume.
Module 1: Choosing Your Cat
- 1.1 Shelter vs Purebred
- 1.2 Adult vs kitten
- 1.3 Indoor vs outdoor
- 1.4 Choosing the kitten / cat
- 1.5 Making friends
- 1.6 Finding a cat-friendly vet
Module 2: The Healthy Cat
- 2.1 What makes a healthy cat?
- Mental stimulation
- Express natural behaviors
- Good condition
- Good diet
- Coat care
- Preventative healthcare
- Vet checkups / pet insurance
- 2.2 Preventative healthcare
- Parasite txts
- ID chips
- Dental Care
- Older cat
- 2.3 Mental stimulation
- Importance of play
- Hunting food
- 2.4 Express Natural Behaviors
- Safe environment
Module 3: Grooming
- 3.1 Normal grooming behavior
- 3.2 Over grooming behavior
- 3.3 Caring for your Cat’s Coat(brushing and combing/knots)
- 3.4 Clipping claws
- 3.5 Bathing
Module 4: Feeding
- 4.1 Meat Eating
- 4.2 Birth to Leaving home
- 4.3 Hunting behavior
- 4.4 Feeding preferences
- 4.5 Obesity and diets
Module 5: Litter Box Matters
- 5.1 Normal toileting
- 5.2 Litter Box Success
- Types of tray
- Types of substrate
- Siting and number
- 5.3 Litter box issues
- Trouble shooting
Module 6: Cat Communication
- 6.1 Voice
- 6.2 Body Language
- 6.3 Marking
Module 7: Cat Behavior
- 7.1 Play and learning
- 7.2 Senses
- 7.3 Society
- 7.4 Aggression
- 7.5 Mating
Who is this course for
- Anyone who is considering getting a cat or kitten should do this course first to ensure they know what being a cat guardian entails and that they get the right breed or mix for their lifestyle
- Any pet parent who wants to learn more about their cat’s behavior and needs, so they can be confident they’re providing the right care - all the time
- Anyone who works with animals and wants to build up a better working relationship with their four-legged - and two-legged - clients
- Anyone who runs a pet-related business or cat-sitting service and wants to provide a better service for clients so they can have confidence their pets are in capable hands
How will it help me
- Learn more about your cat’s behavior so you can care for her better and not get frustrated because you’re misreading what she’s telling you
- Provide a calmer environment for cats because you can deal with any situations
- You’ll know how to keep her entertained and looking fabulous
- Gain a competitive edge as an existing business or set up your own business through your increased knowledge of cats and their care
- Anyone who works with or handles cats will benefit from increasing their knowledge of these furballs
- If you want to set up your own business as a cat sitter or run a cattery and want to show clients that you are continually learning
- Everyone who works in a pet shop or veterinary practice, for example, and wants to improve their knowledge
- Candidates with an interest in working with cats who can show potential employers they have studied an accredited course.
- Existing animal care workers in pursuit of promotion or a raise
- Holly and Holly and Hugo is a professional company with an international team of experts, including veterinary surgeons, compiling the courses
- The courses are accredited by ICOES, the International Council for Online Education Standards, assuring our students our commitment to high standards of online education
- We are also a recognized member of the CPD Certification Service
- Our CPD accredited courses will count towards your CPD hour records. Through Continuing Professional Development (CPD/CE), individuals show their commitment to gain new skills to contribute to their personal and professional development, improve their job prospects, enhance and evolve in their career
- At the end of each module there is an exam to pass to make sure you have fully taken in each stage
- The modules are easy to understand and, therefore, easy to remember
- You can revisit the material for a refresher if you want to look something up
- Once the course is completed, all modules saved and exams passed you'll get a pdf certificate
- You will be also eligible to apply for an ICOES hard copy certificate
- The courses are designed to be easy to use without the need to download material
- Should you need any assistance, we have a help centre available in your student area 24/7 or you can contact our awesome Customer Support team during the working hours