About the course
Adopt, don’t buy. Save a life. Rescue an animal from an overcrowded shelter. Help them to find a loving home - yours!
Sadly, every year more than 6.5 million animals end up in the animal shelters in the US alone.
If you’re thinking about getting a pet, your local animal shelter is a great place to start. How awesome will you feel knowing that you’ve saved a life!
Your new furry friend will love you for it.
Before you get your new rescue animal
Unfortunately, some of these pets come with their own baggage. They may have been abused. They may be scared of people.
Our course written by experienced veterinarian Dr Pippa Elliott is designed to show you how to cope with an adopted dog and other rescue animals.
Before bringing home a rescue dog, cat and other animals, study our practical advice on how to help them settle in.
Bringing your adopted pet home and settling her in
She may be nervous. Or over-excited. Dr Elliott gives solid advice on dealing with any first night nerves and introducing your new arrival to the rest of the family.
Follow our veterinarian’s advice so you know what to expect when adopting a new dog or cat. Find out how to make sure your home is pet-proofed before she comes home with you.
It’s important to get into a routine, so she gets to know what to expect of her new life. You can also start training her so that she knows the essential commands and you start to bond.
Introducing your new arrival to other pets and people
Your new rescue animal needs to start bonding with any other pets and people in the home.
Our professionally-written course lays out the ways to train her to bond and how to avoid any problems.
Flexible course for successful animal adoption
Know how do you get a rescue dog to trust you and follow sound advice on adopting a cat by following the advice in our accredited online course.
The best chance of a successful dog adoption or any other rescue animal is to be aware of what she may be thinking and to help her cope with her new situation.
Start preparing for life with an adopted animal now by researching pet adoption in our online course.
What you will learn
- How to successfully win her trust, change her name, build up confidence, play with her, exercise and train her
- Learn about common behavioral issues and how to avoid them
- Prepare yourself and your home for the new arrival and get ready to settle her in
- Understand animals so you know how to get rid of any bad habits and set boundaries
- Bond well with her and be the best pet parent you can by helping your new adopted animal through any issues she may have
- Understand how important mental and physical stimulation is for her wellbeing
- Look at your home from a pet’s point of view so that you can pet-proof your home before she arrives
- Know what to expect when adopting a new dog or other rescue pet
- Help her settle into a routine while you learn to understand each other better
- Be the best pet parent possible by training her so that you bond and helping her to get along with any other pets and people
Holly and Hugo courses are designed for anyone with an interest in learning. No formal qualifications are required. Our courses are suitable if you want to learn new skills, start a new career, or if you’re already working in a particular industry and wish to upgrade your talents and enhance your resume.
Module 1: Preparation And Planning
- 1.1 Knowledge is Key
- 1.2 Pet-Proof the Home
- 1.3 Get to Grips With Ground Rules
- 1.4 Children and New Pets
- 1.5 Essential Equipment
Module 2: Bringing A New Pet Home
- 2.1 First Impressions Count
- 2.2 Applying Ground Rules
- 2.3 Meet the Family
- 2.4 Food
- 2.5 First Night Nerves
Module 3: Settling In
- 3.1 What to Expect From a Rescue Pet
- 3.2 Settling into a Routine
- 3.3 Avoiding Over-Dependence
- 3.4 Changing Names
- 3.5 Reward-Based Training
Module 4: Introductions And Bonding
- Module 4: Introductions and Bonding 4.1 Getting Along with Other Pets and People
- 4.2 Avoiding Problems
- 4.3 Train to Bond
Module 5: Best Paw Forwards
- 5.1 The Importance of Mental Stimulation
- 5.2 More Bonding with Your Pet
- 5.3 Helping Pets with Issues
- 5.4 The Pet’s Well-Being
- 5.5 Health Care
- 5.6 When Things Go Wrong
Who is this course for
- Everyone who is planning to adopt a pet - from a dog to a snake - will be better prepared to welcome their new friend into their home
- People working or volunteering at shelters can learn more about rescue animals’ behavior
- People who handle animals, such as pet sitters or walkers, will have a greater understanding of their special needs, giving their parents more confidence in you
How will it help me
- You’ll be more confident that you’re providing the best environment for your new arrival and will be more tolerant of her behavior
- It’ll be less frustrating when she behaves oddly because you’ll feel confident to deal with unusual situations by understanding the traits of rescue animals
- Expand your horizons through your knowledge of adopted animals to impress prospective employers or clients
- Work or volunteer in an animal shelter
- Help other people to bond with and train their rescue animals
- Any work which involves working with other people’s pets such as dog walking, pet sitting or pet hotels and kennels
- Holly and Holly and Hugo is a professional company with an international team of experts, including veterinary surgeons, compiling the courses
- The courses are accredited by ICOES, the International Council for Online Education Standards, assuring our students our commitment to high standards of online education
- We are also a recognized member of the CPD Certification Service
- Our CPD accredited courses will count towards your CPD hour records. Through Continuing Professional Development (CPD/CE), individuals show their commitment to gain new skills to contribute to their personal and professional development, improve their job prospects, enhance and evolve in their career
- At the end of each module there is an exam to pass to make sure you have fully taken in each stage
- The modules are easy to understand and, therefore, easy to remember
- You can revisit the material for a refresher if you want to look something up
- Once the course is completed, all modules saved and exams passed you'll get a pdf certificate
- You will be also eligible to apply for an ICOES hard copy certificate
- The courses are designed to be easy to use without the need to download material
- Should you need any assistance, we have a help centre available in your student area 24/7 or you can contact our awesome Customer Support team during the working hours